Sunday, September 2, 2007

A Catalog of Problems

A few days ago a friend called me to vent about his girlfriend, seems she's emotionally unavailable-you see she's still hung up on her ex. I was about to say that the worst part is that she fully admits to this but then I remembered. I had been that girl too.
Rick and I had our first dating go-around a little more than three years ago. For those of you trying to complete an accurate time-line it was really just months after the judge stamped the divorce papers. During the divorce proceedings I would waste more time with an idiot I had dated before. I lost that one to the "other woman". She was tall, blond and always smiling. You probably know her, it seems everyone does. But I was no match for St. Pauli Girl sadly and he chose to continue drinking them into profitablity. In a great forecast of the future- my parting shot to that drunken loser was, "My relationships don't fail because I don't try. You farked this one up." To which he nodded and stumbled off.
But for the next one I really wouldn't try. In fact I would sabotage secretly. It wasn't that I wasn't over my ex or the drunk, I just hadn't had enough time to heal. What I really needed has to be alone for a bit but I didn't see that then. So I decided to go right back to dating but this time I was going to be as "involved." It seemed like a a simple plan.
Rick and I had our first date shortly(and by shortly-I mean hours) after I finished with the drunk. No time to waste, I was on a mission. It was a fairly normal first date; drinks, conversation.
The following day I was feeling good about it still. And this is where my plan came into effect. My friends kept telling me that I always got too involved with these losers. I only heard the"too involved" portion. So the following day I went out to a local spot to see what else was out there- I was not going to become too involved again. And that's how I met Pete. He probably wasn't someone I would have normally dated but I was out looking for something new.
And here's where the first of many mistakes I made with Rick would begin. At first it was easy to juggle them. But as the summer progressed it became more and more difficult. Eventually I would come clean with Pete. "There's someone else." His reaction was not what I had anticipated, he cried. Driving home that night I thought about telling Rick but their (Rick and Pete) personalities were so different I couldn't imagine what Rick's reaction would be. So I didn't. And the problem just grew. The phone calls and the voicemails-"I've gone straight to your voicemail; I hope this means you're getting some sleep. Talk to you in the morning." The lies I told to cover myself.
And then one late night on the phone,"It's like you're not all there for me. Like you keep a part hidden. I really like you, or at least what I've seen of you so far, but I need to see the whole picture." I didn't have much of a reply. There wasn't a whole lot I could say. But it did seem as if there was something I could do; I could be more involved.
The next time I saw Pete would be the last. It was a terrible night. On the way home, in the pouring rain, there was only one person I wanted to talk to- to tell him that I was ready. Ready to be more involved. And I got the voicemail.
My call was not returned, not for several months. I guess I had decided too late and he had moved on. Later on we would talk about it-he would say that I just wasn't all there. I would confess to seeing someone else.
Later on I would realize that the someone else really didn't matter. Even if there had been no Pete I still would have held on to some small part of myself to avoid being hurt. Time would heal that part of me however, and one day I would be well enough to show someone all of me again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One day the baby thing may suddenly change for you...my wife would make babies cry if they were put close to her...and then one day she was ready to have kids and since we did...babies don't cry if they are given to her...

.DC.

Anonymous said...

A funny thing happened to me on the way to the next day of my life. I met an amazing person, wanted to get to know her, and then realized doing so would be a tragedy in the making. If I met her and liked her (a high probability), and if she had felt the same, it would only cause pain and suffering of the very worst variety, as I would be moving far away because of my employment.

Life is what happens when you're making other plans.

Sincerely,

American Werewolf In London