Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Dave Friendly- Part II

Since all sense of what was proper and what was not proper to discuss with one's friend with benefits had flown out the window, I threw a big idea out. Big. So big Dave looked at me like I had suggested ritualistic human sacrifice.

"I think I want to have a baby."

And he nearly choked to death on his beer. "Should I be worried? I mean about what we just did?" And he's quite possibly the only guy I know who wouldn't be offended by, "No, no, no. I'd never want to have a baby with you."

He lit another one and opened another beer. Closed his eyes and stretched across the bed. "I love how you just mention big topics like this off handedly. Remember when you told me you were starting a business? Just one day, out of the blue. And you had it all figured out already in your mind. And then you went and did it. So tell me about this proposed baby."

He didn't know the background- the fear of babies, the problems I might have trying to have a baby (mostly not being able to). But the explanation was pretty clear in my head. "So, go do it."And then a little further explanation from me until we got to the really odd part. "If I don't find someone in the next few years, I'm considering doing it by myself."

"Really? You think it will come to that?" he asked, now staring at me. " I can't imagine you not being able to find someone." And then my answer," It's not that I can't find someone- it's finding the right someone, you goof." "So you're really going to try that by yourself?" and a crazy questioning look. "Well maybe. I'd have a lot to work out first."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember, you can't find someone if you're not really looking.

-MT

Anonymous said...

But, a lot of the time you end up finding what you are not looking for, and settle for less.

Anonymous said...

shuri says hi. =)