Saturday, July 28, 2007

iPod

The worst thing following a break-up is music. You hear a song that makes you think of them. You hear a sad, depressing song and want to gouge your eyes out. And the fine folks at Apple have added to our misery. Yep, 80 GB of songs to torment yourself with. I had put the iPod in a drawer and shut it. Most of the music were downloads from Paul and I really didn't need that right then.

If you believe in God (or gods or whatever) I must say they have a twisted sense of humor. I don't remember exactly when it was but I was on the phone with Rick. The topic of mp3 players came up. He thought it would be a great thing for me to listen to while I worked but was surprised to hear I had already bought one. For those who don't know: I'm technolocically impaired. If it's an electronic gadget I have an IQ of 75 or so. I had been influenced by someone who has not one but two of these crazy things.

Anyways, I'm on the phone with Rick. And in his quest to see something of the "hidden me" he harmlessly asks what the top 10 played songs are on my iPod. I stutter and stammer and try to avoid the question at all costs. He has no clue what is causing my distress. Is the playlist a federal secret? No, it's not and I'm not sure what the song will be but I'm afraid to look. I waffle, vacillate and eventually he gives up this line of questioning. I should have just said something by the Scorpions or some other 80's hairband. My not answering raised suspicion.

And I didn't look for several months. and then the query popped into my head. I had an idea of what the most played song was. It was sent to me in a link one night along with the lyrics. It was the epitome of a romantic gesture. The first time I heard it I cried.

It was also a big neon flashing sign.

The most played song? Question by The Old 97's.

And for those of you who don't know:

Some day somebody's gonna ask you
a question that you should say yes to
once in your life

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

God that's a great song...

http://www.myspace.com/theold97s

How do you see the most played track on there?

Have you thought about erasing all of the songs on there currently and starting over? Let me know if you need help with this.

wentaway

Anonymous said...

Love unlocks doors and opens windows that weren't even there before. ~Mignon McLaughlin

People who are sensible about love are incapable of it. ~Douglas Yates

Some women love only what they can hold in their arms; others, only what they can't. ~Mignon McLaughlin

Love floods us with hope.
~Jareb Teague

We choose those we like; with those we love, we have no say in the matter. ~Mignon McLaughlin

True love stories never have endings. ~Richard Bach

Falling in love is so hard on the knees. ~Aerosmith

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how music can instantly transport you to a place from long ago.

At least the song wasn't "Makin' Love Out of Nothing At All" by Air Supply. (For a few different reasons). lol.

-Mark

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to "iPod" and "Aftermath" (although I don't own an iPod).

I'm currently listening to news, news, news and I'd probably listen to the shipping forecast if I had to.

Big hugs from your friend in GR.