Thursday, November 27, 2008

Tell Me Something Good

"Tell me something good," was the request. So a happy story for Turkey Day.

I'm not sure how the topic came up. I do remember where we were however. It must have been January. We were in the throes of winter and I was in the middle of that warm, fuzzy in love phase with Paul. I was laying on the bed, smiling at the ceiling.

And out of nowhere, "Do you make wishes at fountains?" I turned to face him with that scrunched up face that was universally undersood to mean, "Huh?"

"Do you throw coins in fountains and make a wish?"

"Well for a while I didn't. Didn't seem to be working so I stopped. Amusing question though."

"So when did you stop?" He might as well have asked, "When did you become so cynical and jaded?" But he's a nice guy.

"I don't know. Maybe when I was 25 or so. Right around the time the insomnia started I guess."

"And when did you give it another go? What made you start wishing again?" he was clearly on an inquisitive mission and I was going along to see where it took me.

"It was Wes. On our first date we walked past a fountain. It seemed like we passed them a lot for a while. He always gave me a coin and told me to make a wish. But apparently, since my wish never came true, it doesn't work for me."

"You think? Maybe you've been doing it wrong."

More scrunched up face on my part.

"You need to find someone who will wish your wish with you." he said simply.

And as I looked at him and smiled he continued, "I would wish your wish with you."

It was things like things like that, things that could make your day. Little things and everytime I saw a fountain I would remember. And I would wish for his wish instead.

My favorite fountain was closed, Michigan winters are rough on wishing I guess, so I drove past it to an indoor wishing spot. Threw my coins in the fountain and made my usual wish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're not going to tell us the wish? Boooooooo.